As one of the first six colleges in the country to achieve the FA standard charter logo, the Centre has had 12 players selected to play for the English Schools and English Colleges squads; in 2007 Scott Drury, Tim Lowe and Nathan Would were successful. It has also seen 16 players successfully progress through the system to sign for Grimsby Town Football Club, with five having played for the first team.
How it works
Members of the Development Centre are expected to train for eight hours each week with matches taking place every Wednesday. Players are provided with strength and conditioning training, fitness training and nutrition advice. Students also have access to an ice bath, physiotherapist and sports massage.
Coaching takes place four mornings a week and one game is played per week, in addition to various representative games for those selected to play for the district and/or county schools under 19 team. Applicants will be informed of trial dates.
Gary Childs leads a capable coaching team backed up by former Grimsby Town fullback John McDermott.
Football Development Centre Director
- Gary has 17 years professional experience at four clubs including Birmingham, West Bromwich Albion, Walsall, Grimsby Town Football Club and England Youth International.
- He has 12 years coaching experience.
- Holds a UEFA B licence.
- Is an FA coaching assessor for the level 1 course and also holds qualifications in basic sports injuries and first aid.
- Has also worked at Grimsby Town School of Excellence and Football in the Community.
- Gary has led the Centre to three league titles and promotion to the English Colleges Football Association Premier League.
UEFA A licensed coach
- Ex-professional footballer - played for 21 years at Grimsby Town Football Club making 753 appearances.
- Is a UEFA A Licensed coach
- Currently the assistant manager at Harrogate Town F.C
- In 2006/07, John was named the longest serving professional footballer in a single UK club and entered BBC Radio Lincolnshire's Hall of Fame for his loyalty to the club.
- PFA Merit to Football award winner
- Nominated for an MBE for services to sport.
- He was named BBC Yorkshire and Humberside sports personality of the year 2001/2002.
- While at GTFC won four young and one senior player of the year awards.
- Coached the GTFC School of Excellence for six years.
- Member of the England Colleges selection panel for men and women's football.